Cathy Flesher is a Camp PMC Principal Instructor and national handmade jewelry design and teaching artist based in Tucson, Arizona and specializing in the use of metal clay, bead, wire, solder, and glass. Online workshops, consulting, and studio time available.
See you in North Carolina at MCAS!
I'm pleased to join the amazing group of instructors teaching at the 2023 Metal Clay Artists Symposium to be held August 24-27 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you in-person. You can learn more about the schedule and instructors by visiting the Sawtooth conference page.
On Friday, August 25 I'll be teaching a full-day workshop on Creative Ring Making. Then, on Sunday, August 27 I'll be doing a 2-hour Technique Discovery session on Simplifying Your Soldering Skills. Conference and class registration begins January 1, 2023.
In the Creative Ring Making one-day workshop, you will enhance your ring making ability by designing two unique rings that combine metal clay with metals while broadening your soldering skills. One ring will include a CZ bezeled in metal clay and the other will use a stone and bezel cup.
In the morning:
- Design two metal clay ring tops using silver metal clay, CZs, and/or stones
- Create your ring top design with textures or molds (bring your own or choose from a variety provided by the instructor)
- Learn tips on how to best refine your metal clay designs
- Ring tops will be kiln fired, burnished and tumbled during lunch
- Fabricate two ring bands using sterling silver sheet and/or sterling silver wire
- Learn how to use clay from Wolf Tools as an aid in soldering
- Solder the ring bands to the ring tops
- Solder the bezel cup to ring top
- Set stone
- Patina and polish